Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for CAADE certified counselors who are transferring to CCAPP
- 1. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1. Must I be current with CAADE to transfer?
Yes, you must have valid certification to transfer to CCAPP at no cost.
- 2. If I am expired must I apply as a new certificant?
No, but you will not qualify for a free transfer and must follow CCAPP’s lapsed credential policy which states:
“Pay all fees and penalties and meet one of the following conditions:
- The counselor must request in writing to be granted a six-month extension from the current certification expiration date if certification renewal documentation will not be provided. An extension does not make the certification active, it is still considered expired, but the individual requesting the extension will not fall into a lapse period which may require submitting of a full application, retaking examinations, etc. The individual will need to provide all required continuing education units (CEU), and professional development hours (PDH) per renewal policy and pay fees per renewal application/policies.
- If certification lapse is longer than six months, but less than one year, the counselor must request in writing to renew. The board may require additional education or requirements in order to renew certification after lapsing for this period of time.
- If certification lapse is longer than one year, but less than two years, the counselor must request in writing for an inactive application, and will be required to submit 50 CEU’s (40 from an approved provider with six in counselor ethics, 10 professional development hours (PDH)) to renew a currently expired credential to next renewal period. The applicant will be required to submit renewal at next renewal and adhere to all current renewal requirements.
- If longer than two years but less than six, the counselor will be required to submit 50 CEU’s (40 approved provider with six in counselor ethics, 10 PDH) for every two years expired for up to six years.
- If certification lapse is longer than six years, the counselor must request in writing to apply for certification as if an original applicant.
- If an applicant was a Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the last six years, they are not eligible to retake the examination that they assisted in developing.”
- 3. What happens if my certification expires this week or in the next 30 days?
If your expiration date is approaching, it is important to apply for transfer AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. As soon as your transfer is approved, you will need to apply for renewal with CCAPP. Be prepared to upload proof of CEs. Your renewal application will be on Certemy. 30 day processing times are normal. Begin the renewal on the day your transfer is approved in order to meet renewal deadlines.
- 4. Can I be expedited if my employment is in jeopardy?
Yes, you will have to contact the CAADE office and ask to be added to the expedited list. You must show proof of your employment being in jeopardy. All transfer applications will be processed in this order: 1. Expedited list 2. Expiration date 3. Date of application. In other words, once the expedited list is processed, CCAPP will process by “next to expire”. If your expiration date is within 30 days you will automatically have priority, even if you are not on the expedited list. When all expected to expire in less than 30 days or less are processed, remaining applications will be processed according to date of application for transfer.
- 5. Will I have to get additional hours, if I do not have the required 3,000 hours? What if I am not working in the field and cannot acquire more than the initial 2,240 hours?
CCAPP has reopened the RADT II certification for CAADE transfers, including CATCis, who need time to gain additional hours for the CADC I. If you have been previously registered beyond five years, you will need to also complete a hardship application to continue. The extension will take into account how many hours are needed to qualify for the CADC I. If you do not believe you will not be attempting to obtain the necessary hours, consult CAADE about retiring your certificate.
- 6. What if I am beyond my 7 years as registered?
You must apply for certification.
- 7. What if I am currently only a member with CAADE?
You can apply for membership with CCAPP by visiting the CCAPP individual membership page. There you will find a list of extensive benefits, including conference and certification discounts. You will need to be a member when you renew your credential for membership rates to apply. Membership Information
- 8. What if I have different dates for my membership and certification?
Your current certification will allow you to transfer at no cost and you would have to apply for membership separately to obtain member benefits (membership is not transferable). Upon renewal, you must be a member to receive member pricing for your renewal.
- 9. Is my transfer free, if my membership is expired and my certification is current?
- 10. If I took the 9 hours laws & ethics course from Breining and Quantum, will I have to take them over again.
No, not if you took them before December 10, 2017.
- 11. If I am not certified does CCAPP have an equivalency process?
No, we do not. All education is reviewed independently to determine if it meets CCAPP standards.
- 12. What if I was given a hardship extension - will CCAPP honor that extension?
- 13. I was scheduled to take the CATC exam and exams were cancelled, now what?
- 14. Is it true that as having been certified by CAADE that I will have no advantage by having a degree versus having experience?
Not true. Degrees can be used in place of experience for multiple steps on CCAPP’s career ladder. CCAPP has a streamlined career ladder: registrant, CADC I, CADC II, LAADC, and LAADCs. Depending on your combination of education and experience you will enter into the appropriate level. Should you acquire more experience in education you can apply to advance to a higher level.
- 15. I am a CATC III with a Bachelor’s can I be a CADC II without having 6000 hours?
You would only need 4,000 because you hold a BA.
- 16. What if I have completed CAADE’s education requirements, taken the test, and am registered with CAADE as an intern?
- 17. CCAPP does not offer student registration?
No, you can become a member or register as a RADT. Both are recommended.
- 18. Will the CAADE AOD community college certificate programs automatically be accepted for education?
Everyone who is currently enrolled in a CAADE accredited program who completes the 39 unit curriculum and receives a certificate will be accepted.
- 19. Will individuals currently enrolled in a CAADE AOD college program be allowed to test upon completion?
- 20. What are CCAPP’S fees?
- Renewal fees range from $100 to $250, for members, depending on level. Membership is $100 per year. Renewal cycles for certification are for two years. Membership must be paid for both years to receive membership rates on certification. To see current fee schedule, click here.
- RADT and RADT II must be renewed annually.
- 21. What is CCAPP’s processing time?
Two to four weeks for renewals. See question 4. for priority processing for transfers.
- 22. Will hours of experience not signed off under the 12 core functions of CCAPP still count?
- 23. I have a letter verifying experience from a former supervisor. Will hours earned as experience as a CATCi count?
- 24. I am anxious about whether I will be transferred by the June 15th deadline. How can CCAPP assure me that I will be transferred in time?
- CCAPP spent the past year working with developers to create our new online application system, Certemy. This state of the art program allows you to easily upload the items we need to successfully review your application. Our dedicated staff is trained to efficiently evaluate your documentation and our senior staff are efficient in making final approvals that automatically update your registry status and generate a certificate to your digital wallet for immediate verification (a hardcopy, frameable version is then sent).
- CCAPP leadership, staff, program members, and counselors consider you “part of the family” and will do our very best to make you feel welcome during this stressful time.
- 25. I have CATC IV or CATC V and previously qualified for CADC I because I didn’t meet the hours requirement for LAADC-CA. However, I noticed I now qualify for LAADC-CA because you changed the hours requirement. Can I change my application to get LAADC-CA?
- 26. What if I am in a CAADE accredited school before January 1, 2018; will I be able to take the IC&RC exam?
Yes. Once you complete your coursework you can apply for the RADT II and take the IC&RC exam. Once you obtain the required experience you will then be able to advance to a CADC I or higher, depending on your education and experience. See https://www.ccapp.us/ladder/ for details.
- 27. What if I started my education after January 1, 2018?